NEWS RELEASE OTTAWA – Canadian Shooting Sports Association President, Steve Torino, and Executive Director, Tony Bernardo, testified before the Senate Standing Committee on National Security and Defence in a marathon session last evening that brought organizations and individuals on both sides of the gun debate together in the new Senate of Canada Building to examine Bill C-71, An Act to amend certain Acts and Regulations in relation to firearms. Messrs. Torino and Bernardo outlined several significant problems with Bill C-71 including the change to lifetime background checks; changes to the licence verification process; requirements for businesses to keep detailed recordings of all firearm transactions; changes to the electronic conditions of Authorizations to Transport (ATTs); and the removal of the Governor-in-Council to declare a firearm to be non-restricted. [Click on link above to read the rest]
SENATE COMMITTEE ON NATIONAL SECURITY AND DEFENCE: PRESENTATION ON LACK OF EVIDENCE SUPPORTING BILL C-71 By Dennis R. Young – February 18, 2019 NOTE: Excerpts from this document were used for my seven-minute presentation to the Senate Committee.
EXCERPT: Albert Einstein is credited with saying: “The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again but expecting different results”. There’s no proof that Einstein really made this statement just as there is no proof – no ‘evidence’ – that any of the reams of gun control laws passed by successive governments over the last four decades has reduced the number of homicides, reduced the number of suicides, reduced violent crime, improved public or police safety or kept firearms out of the hands of criminals. https://www.change.org/p/justin-trudeau-shouldn-t-police-know-where-these-bad-guys-with-guns-live/u/24207572
Maybe Senators can get the answers that my Access to Information requests can’t? By Dennis R. Young – Updated: February 15, 2019
WHAT DO THE LIBERAL’S MEAN WHEN THEY SAY EVIDENCE-BASED’ GUN CONTROL POLICIES? Canada’s Gun Control Regime (C-17 & C-68) Implemented ‘Despite the Absence of Precise Data’ – By Dennis R. Young – May 25, 2017 http://canadafreepress.com/article/what-do-the-liberals-mean-when-they-say-evidence-based-gun-control-policies
JUSTIN TRUDEAU’S PROMISES FOR A NEW OPEN & TRANSPARENT GOVERNMENT https://dennisryoung.ca/wp-content/uploads/2016/12/TRUDEAUS-PROMISES-Open-Government.pdf
Response to Access to Information Act request dated February 3, 2019 RCMP ATIP FILE: A-2018-03594 – Received by Dennis R. Young February 15, 2019 – Detailed analysis of the attached statistics pending.
FIREARMS REGISTRATION SYSTEM ERRORS:
- For the year 2017, the number of enquiries received to report errors with firearms registration certificates;
- For the year 2017, the number of registration certificates returned by the post office noting the wrong address;
- As of December 31, 2017, the number of persons prohibited from owning firearms still in possession of registered firearms;
- As of December 31, 2017, the number of persons with an expired or revoked licence still in possession of their registered firearms;
- As of December 31, 2017, the number of firearms no longer in the possession of the registered owner;
- As of December 31, 2017, the number of firearms reported as sold by RCMP approved dealers but still listed in the dealers’ inventories;
- As of December 31, 2017, the number of firearms registered with the same makes, models and serial numbers;
- As of December 31, 2017, the number of firearms registered without serial numbers;
- As of December 31, 2017, the number of firearms registered as restricted firearms but are actually prohibited firearms;
- As of December 31, 2017, the number of firearms registered as restricted but are actually non-restricted; and
- As of December 31, 2017, the number of duplicate firearms registration certificates in the system.
FIREARMS LICENCING SYSTEM ERRORS
- For the year 2017, the number of enquiries received to report errors in firearms licences;
- For the year 2017, the number of firearms licences returned by the post office with the wrong address;
- For the year 2017, the number of firearms licences issued with the wrong photograph or owner description;
- As of December 31, 2017, the number of persons prohibited from owning firearms still in possession of their firearms licence; and
- As of December 31, 2017, the number of change of address notifications waiting to be entered in the system.
QUESTIONS ABOUT THE FIREARM ENGAGEMENT PAPER: “REDUCING VIOLENT CRIME: A DIALOGUE ON HANDGUNS AND ASSAULT WEAPONS” By Daniel Balofsky – February 3, 2019
PUBLIC SAFETY CONSULTATIONS: BANNING HANDGUNS AND ASSAULT WEAPONS – Access to Information Act request By Dennis R. Young – February 1, 2019 https://dennisryoung.ca/wp-content/uploads/2019/02/ATI-233-Public-Safety-Consultations-on-Banning-Handguns-Feb-1-2019.pdf
GUN OWNERS FIRE BACK AT MINISTER BLAIR DURING CONSULTATION IN CALGARY
Participants made the most of the 60-minutes available to them, discussing the effects a handgun ban would have on information privacy, civil liberties, manufacturing, and business investment. The message was clear: this is viewed as yet another legislative tool to punish responsible and law-abiding gun owners. The Minister heard loud and clear opposition to Justin Trudeau’s methodology for reducing violent crime. Stephanie herself questioned whether the outcome of the consultation will ultimately reflect the views expressed by the stakeholders consulted. Minister Blair, when pressed, agreed to accept additional submissions in writing to his office, to be coordinated by Stephanie. Grateful for the opportunity to attend, yet undoubtedly dissatisfied by the Minister’s responses, attendees left the meeting without any assurances. By Calgary Midnapore MP Stephanie Kusie – February 8, 2019 http://stephaniekusiemp.ca/2019/02/08/gun-owners-fire-back-at-minister-blair-during-consultation-in-calgary/
OPEN LETTER #4 TO SENATORS: EVIDENCE LACKING ON HIGH, MEDIUM AND LOW PRIORITY GUN CONTROL TARGETS
Why are 443,043 convicted criminals prohibited from owning firearms by the courts allowed to roam Canada free of any of the government’s gun control programs? On November 24, 2004, Firearms Commissioner Bill Baker testified before the Standing Committee on Justice and Human Rights: “On the change of address, if someone is prohibited from having a firearm in the country they are no longer effectively covered by the Firearms Act.” Maybe it’s time they should. By Dennis R. Young – February 5, 2019
A CANADIAN APPROACH TO PUBLIC SAFETY (HUMOUR) TheGunBlog.ca – January 31, 2019 — Following is an imaginary conversation based on real laws for Canada’s 2.2 million men and women hunters, farmers and sport shooters with police authorizations to own guns.
Albert: If we want to improve public safety, what if we tracked the people who threaten it? We know a lot of them, but we won’t touch them.
Billy: Are you some un-Canadian unhinged authoritarian fascist Nazi-Communist alt-scumbag threat to democracy? We don’t treat people like that here. We respect their rights and freedoms, their privacy, their culture and way of life. We respect principles of law and justice like fair treatment, due process and innocent until proven guilty. What you suggest is immoral, unconstitutional and illegal.
Here’s what we do instead: https://thegunblog.ca/2019/01/31/a-canadian-approach-to-public-safety-humour/
THE GUN DEBATE IN CANADA: PT-2 – “ASSAULT WEAPONS”
“We will take action to get handguns and assault weapons off our streets”. Liberal Party of Canada website. Several statements about firearms use and misuse have been made by the governing Liberal Party of Canada, and by gun-control lobby groups even as the Liberal government mulls a complete ban on handguns and possibly also on so-called “assault weapons” which are modern semi-automatic sporting rifles. By RCI | firstname.lastname@example.org Monday 21 January, 2019 http://www.rcinet.ca/en/2019/01/21/the-gun-debate-in-canada-pt-2-assault-weapons/
Maybe Senators can get the answers that my Access to Information requests can’t? By Dennis R. Young – Updated: January 13, 2019