National and International Gun Control News for the week ending March 20, 2020
TPS FOIP APS File: 19-2480, MA19-00655 – 7-Page response dated March 10, 2020 Received March 20, 2020 by Dennis R. Young
1. The most current definition of a ‘crime gun’;
2. Total number of firearms seized for (a) Crimes and (b) Non-Crimes;
3. Total number of firearms surrendered to police (i.e. during a buy-back or amnesty, turned in voluntarily for destruction, issued with ‘quit claim’ receipts, etc);
4. Total number of crime guns seized that were: (a) ‘used in a criminal offence’; (b) ‘suspected of being used in a criminal offence’; (c) ‘obtained, possessed, or intended to be used to facilitate criminal activity’; (d) ‘serial number removed, altered or obliterated’; (e) ‘adapted for use as a firearm’;
5. Total number of firearms that were recorded as ‘found’;
6. Total number of firearms destroyed;
7. Total number of firearms reported stolen from (a) individuals and (b) businesses;
8. Total number of ‘crime guns’ seized that were reported as stolen from (a) licensed gun owners or (b) licensed businesses;
9. Total number of ‘crime guns’ seized from licensed gun owners or licensed businesses (a) for a violent crime, (b) for an administrative or paper firearms crime (i.e. expired license, current address not reported, Authorization to Transport violation, error on registration certificate, firearm not at correct address);
10. Total number of ‘crime guns’ seized that you attempted to trace;
11. Total number of ‘crime guns’ seized that were successfully traced;
12. Total number of ‘crime guns’ seized that were successfully traced to the U.S.A;
13. Total number of ‘crime guns’ seized that were successfully traced to Canada;
14. Total number of ‘crime guns’ seized that were traced to a licensed gun owner;
15. Total number licensed gun owners charged with providing a ‘crime gun’ to a criminal;
16. Total number of ‘crime guns seized that were (a) restricted, (b) prohibited, or (c) non-restricted;
17. Total number of ‘crime guns’ seized that were registered (a) restricted, (b) prohibited (c) non-restricted and
18. Total number of ‘crime guns’ seized by type of firearm (i.e. rifle, shotgun, handgun, toy gun, replica, sawed-off gun, sub-machine gun, machine gun, etc).
AUGUST 24, 2018 – TORONTO POLICE RELEASE CRIME GUN STATS FOR 2007 to 2017
Toronto Police Service FOIP response dated August 24, 2018 – Posted by Dennis R. Young
National and International Gun Control News for the week ending March 13, 2020
Briefing to Combined Meeting of Council: Public Safety Task Force – March 16, 2020
Question #1: Has Councillor Chahal abandoned his support for a ban on handguns?
Question #2: Is there room for a representative from the Firearms Community on the Membership List?
CBC – CALGARY COUNCILLOR PLANS MOTION TO BAN HANDGUNS IN CITY
Chahal said there have been over 60 shootings in Calgary this year — many of them in his ward — and said he supported a national handgun ban. “This is a crisis facing our communities across this country. We have to tackle all aspects of this issue, and that means we have to go eliminate these from use,” Chahal said. As part of their platform, the Liberals have said they would give local governments the ability to “further restrict” or ban handguns. By Joel Dryden · CBC News · Posted: Oct 03, 2019
COUNCILLOR GEORGE CHAHAL WANTS TO LOOK AT POSSIBLE MOTION TO BAN HANDGUNS IN CALGARY
CALGARY—A Calgary city councillor who has been outspoken about gun violence in the past says he might bring forward a motion to ban handguns in the city.
By Amy Tucker, Star Calgary – Thu., Oct. 3, 2019 EXCERPT: Chahal said he acknowledges responsible gun owners “bear unnecessary scrutiny,” and added he thinks gun control policies should also focus on cracking down on illicit gun sales and cross-border smuggling. His motion, still being drafted, would be contingent on changes at the federal level and thus wouldn’t be brought forward until after the Oct. 21 federal election. Chahal made the announcement alongside Kent Hehr, the Liberal candidate in the Calgary Centre riding, and Josh Ng-Kamstra, a doctor representing Canadian Doctors for Protection From Guns.
RISING GUN VIOLENCE PROMPTS CALL FOR ACTION FROM NORTHEAST COUNCILLOR
By ZACH LAING email@example.com Updated: October 4, 2019
EXCERPT: While Chahal said he supports a ban on handguns — a measure municipalities would be allowed to introduce under a proposal by the federal Liberal party — he also realizes that many gun owners are law-abiding citizens. “There’s responsible gun owners in rural communities who have guns on their family farms, they’re hunters, nobody is talking about taking away their guns and we shouldn’t be,” he said. “We’re talking about handguns that are in our communities, in urban centres like the city of Calgary, in northeast Calgary, in downtown Toronto or in Montreal. “We also have to go after the criminals who smuggle these guns, the manufacturers who are producing them and getting them into our cities and the distribution of them, (we) need tougher penalties . . . and ensure that nobody gets off to the slap on the wrist.”
REPRESENTATION FROM THE FIREARMS COMMUNITY ON PUBLIC SAFETY TASK FORCE?
Letter to Calgary Councillor George Chahal from Dennis R. Young – January 19, 2020. NOTE: No acknowledgment or response as of March 13, 2020
CHAHAL: PUBLIC SAFETY TASK FORCE WILL GET TO THE HEART OF VIOLENCE CRISIS
Engaging all stakeholders is critical and will provide the necessary context to these complicated issues. A broad spectrum of stakeholders, such as government officials, police officers, convicted offenders, victims, faith groups, cultural communities, mental health specialists and concerned residents will be involved and engaged. Gun control advocates need to converse with law-abiding gun owners to find common ground. We need to acknowledge that Calgarians are complicit when we turn away and ignore criminal activity. CALGARY HERALD Updated: February 3, 2020
National and International Gun Control News for the week ending March 6, 2020
PUBLIC SAFETY CANADA HAS NO RECORDS TO SUPPORT MINISTER BLAIR’S STATEMENT ON GUN BUY-BACK PLAN
Department unable to provide the places the Minister visited and the number of gun owners he talked to.
Public Safety Canada’s response to Access to Information Act request File: A-2019-00322 dated March 2, 2020 – By Dennis R. Young – March 4, 2020
Here are the key stakeholders that Minister Blair did NOT talk to about his Buy-Back plan.
• Sheldon Clare, NFA President
• Blair Hagen, NFA Executive VP Communication
• Tony Bernardo, Executive Director, CSSA
• Nicolas Johnson, The Gun Blog
• Guy Morin, President of Everyone Against a Quebec Gun Registry
• Gary Mauser, Professor Emeritus, SFU
• Alison de Groot, Managing Director, Canadian Sporting Arms and Ammunition Association (CSAAA)
BLAIR TELLS IPOLITICS CONFISCATION NEEDS NEW LAW, TWO YEARS AWAY – TheGunBlog.ca — 10 Dec 2019
EXCERPT: Immediate vs. Delayed Confiscation: The minister told iPolitics he heard from some gun owners that they preferred immediate confiscation with a payoff, rather than confiscation after death sometimes called “grandfathering.” TheGunBlog.ca couldn’t find any mention of that preference in a comprehensive report on Blair’s confiscation consultations last year.
If saving lives is the government’s objective, they can’t ignore the leading methods victims use to commit suicide.
Hanging=53% Poisoning=18% Shooting=14% Other=15% – By Dennis R. Young – March 3, 2020
National and International Gun Control News for the week ending February 28, 2020
National and International Gun Control News for the week ending February 21, 2020
RED FLAG LAW? LET’S TRACK VIOLENT OFFENDERS WITH FIREARM PROHIBITION ORDERS
People with a history of violent offences are a proven danger to public safety, yet these are the people our government refuses to track. This is not a Liberal or Conservative issue. This is a Government of Canada issue. Governments of both political stripes failed these three women. Governments of both political stripes continue to fail Canadians from lifelong domestic abusers and murderers like Basil Borutski. Published February 17, 2020 by Christopher di Armani. https://christopherdiarmani.com/14107/police-state/red-flag-law-track-violent-offenders-with-firearm-prohibition-orders/